Saturday 12 July 2014

Light Bulb Moment

I had a light bulb moment a couple of months ago.... (Like an Oprah A-ha moment??) I am still tossing up whether it is a good light bulb moment or a bad one.
It all came about when I was talking to my Husband and the following words came out of my mouth "I wish I could just skip the next 40 years" pause "And just be able to retire"
It was probably one of the scariest things I could ever say - for a start because of my age- I had just turned 33 and I am effectively saying that I want to write off the next 40 years of my life.
I should be in the prime of my life at 33 - living life to my fullest.
Yet these words have crossed my mind more then once....
Consequently it was around this time that I joined the local library. I browsed the books and picked up 100 things by Sebastian Terry. I'd read a story about Seb before in a magazine and was pretty intrigued.
Basically after the death of a close friend he realised that he did not want to follow the "normal" pattern of life where you get a great career, marry a girl, buy a house and have a family. He wrote a list of things he wanted to achieve and set off across the world to tick off the items of his list (Some of the items are "Marry a stranger in Vegas", "represent a country at something", "take on a world champion") and has been working on the list to this day. He raises money for charity and even better inspires people to make their own list.
You really should check his site out at http://100things.com.au/. It has inspired me and I believe it has inspired many others.
While reading his book I found myself nodding so many times. I also started to reflect on what would be on my list - and the funny thing is that I have things that I have always wanted to do but never done.... for one reason or another.
First thing that sprung to mind was that I wanted to start a blog. I had one failed attempt at a blog in 2010 - I think the idea was terrific - but I only ever wrote one post...
A second thing I have wanted to do since I started to do fun runs is train for a half marathon - haven't started yet!
I have always wanted to do singing lessons - another thing I have not yet done. And the list continues. So I thought perhaps this could be something to bring me back to life... because I do not want to write off the next 40 years of my life...
This blog (hopefully more then one post) will follow my giving life a go and perhaps figuring out why those words came out of my mouth in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment