Saturday 26 July 2014

Finding Happiness

I have been thinking about whether I take this beautiful gift of life for granted.
"There's always tomorrow" - but perhaps this is not the case.
Do we really have a right not to make the most of everyday??

I am not sure that this is a licence to run out and start living some hedonistic lifestyle like it is the end of the world. But perhaps its a time to take stock of our lives and see how if we are giving priority to things that matter - are we working to hard and perhaps not giving adequate time to our families? are we sweating the little stuff and it's getting in way of our life? are we not giving our health enough attention? or perhaps we are fitness junkies and this is getting in the way of other parts of our lives?

I have always believed in everything in moderation and everything balanced - it seems as soon as we start getting obsessed with something everything else falls by the wayside.
 Not sure that's exactly how I live my life though!

I have also thought about finding joy and happiness and how perhaps we think that is something that will come later in life  - when we do this or that (in my case retire as mentioned in my first post!)
Is that true? can we not find joy and happiness in the everyday?
I have thought back to what has made me happy over the last week....
  1. Last week I said to Hubby that I was keen to get out on a Friday night and as I worded it "amongst people" ( I have been spending a few Friday nights at home lately haha) and we did go out - I loved enjoying an espresso martini at a cool bar and sharing some tapas plates with him in another bar. I also liked wandering around the shops and seeing people enjoying the ice skating rink set up in the mall! I loved going into a record shop which was like something from my childhood - they had CD's, band T-shirts and posters - you just don't see shops like that much anymore since ITunes! I even brought a CD for $10 dollars - very cool. It wasn't an expensive night or a late rocking one but I loved it.
  2. I had been sick for a couple of weeks and hadn't been able to get to the gym - I didn't realise how much I missed the gym till I got back there. and for the last two weeks I have been back I have felt so strong after my workouts. I may have mentioned that I am keen to run a half-marathon - I have been running this week and have been happy with the outcomes so far. The end of workout has made me feel happy that I have my health and also that I made an effort with fitness when I started a boot camp in 2009. My hubby even said to me "You have a better week when you go to the gym" (please note I am no athlete! I am in no way fast!)
  3. I took my puppy for a walk the other day and it made me so happy that he is getting much better walking on a lead - before it was a bit of a struggle but he is really coping with it now - watching him exploring the world and walk around with his tail up in the air is so lovely.
  4. Most mornings at work I go with a group of girls to grab a coffee - I love hearing about their day, how they are and also the coffee itself (I am a big fan of coffee!) It is something I always look forward to and makes my work day.
  5. Hubby and I are looking at cars at the moment and it makes me happy that our relationship is such that we don't argue over things like that - actually I think we are taking a pretty good approach to it - there was one car that we really loved but it was to expensive. Instead of one of us putting our heels in we are now looking at other options available to us and it really has been quite enjoyable (if not overwhelming lol)
Looking at this list of things has been interesting - they are not huge things, nor are they expensive and they really are just the everyday.
I think it truly is important to take time to reflect on what makes us happy.

What has made you happy in the last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment